In most kitchens, you'll find certain staples that are must-haves, such as apples for snacking or celery for cooking. The good thing about many everyday foods is that they're good for you. Here is a short list of staples (you probably keep on hand) with wonderful health benefits.
- Apples. You may be able to keep the doctor away if you eat an apple a day! Apples help lower blood levels of oxidized LDL, which is tied to hardening of the arteries.
- Did you know that when you eat blueberries before and after you exercise, your body continues to burn fat longer and you absorb more polyphenols? Polyphenols are antioxidant compounds that fight cell damage.
- Celery helps indigestion and helps control blood pressure.
- Cocoa may help improve your thinking skills because it increases blood flow to the brain.
- Raisins are chock-full of dietary fiber, phytonutrients, and potassium, which may help lower blood pressure.
- Tomatoes are loaded with lycopene, which may reduce the risk of stroke.
These small bites offer more than great taste; they offer big benefits! You're doing the right thing by keeping these staples on hand. You're eating well for your well being!